Q: What number do I call if I need an ambulance?

A: If you need an ambulance right away, call 911. For a non-emergency or routine transport, call Oldham County Dispatch at (502) 222-0111. If you need to pre-schedule a transport, please call the office at (502) 222-7250.

Q: Can I get medical advice by calling 911?

A: No. For medical advice you need to consult a physician. If you can't get in touch with your physician, we'll be glad to send you an ambulance to transport you to a hospital for evaluation by an emergency room physician.

Q: Do all ambulances go to calls with their lights and sirens on?

A: No. When you call 911, the dispatcher will carefuly triage the situation to determine the most appropriate response for each call. If the run is not immediately life-threatening we will respond with no lights or siren.

Q: Can I request an ambulance respond without lights and siren?

A: While we understand that the lights and sirens can be alarming to people and animals alike, we're required to use them if we're responding on an emergency run. If you have horses or other animals that may be frightened by our response, be sure to tell the dispatcher. We will try to turn off the siren before we arrive at the scene if at all possible.

Q: Why do you sometimes transport patients via a heliocopter instead of an ambulance?

A: An air ambulance or heliocopter is used for transport only when the patient is critical and life-saving time may be saved by the decreased transport time of an ambulance.

Q: How many calls did Oldham County EMS normally respond to?

A: Last year, we averaged around 5,200 calls.

Q: Who should I contact if I have a question about my bill?

A: 911 Billing and Consultant, Inc. takes care of all our billing. You may reach them by calling 888-344-9614. There is also a link in the Pay My Bill tab.

Q: I pay for Emergency Medical Services on my tax bill, why do I also get billed when I use the service?

A: Oldham County EMS is funded by a combination of a taxing and user fees. To minimize the taxing impact on the entire citizenry individuals who use the service pay a user fee to fund the remaining cost of providing services. In this way, the taxes necessary to support OCEMS can be held to a minimum.

Q: Is the bill for ambulance treatment and transport covered by health insurance?

A: In most cases, yes. However, this depends in large part on the type of coverage that the patient has and whether the service is considered medically necessary by the patient's insurance carrier. Each insurance company and, in some cases, each insurance policy may pay differently towards ambulance transportation.

Q: I was recently transported by ambulance and Medicare denied my bill for medical necessity. Why did they deny payment and what are my rights?

A: The Medicare program will only pay for ambulance services that it deems are medically necessary. Other means of transportation must be contraindicated due to the patient's condition, regardless of whether other means of transportation are available to you at the time.

You have the right to appeal Medicare's decision. Just collect all of the information related to the service provided and mail them to the Medicare carrier requesting an appeal.

Q: Why does a fire truck come when I call for an ambulance?

A: The local fire departments serve as medical first responders on most emergency calls. They extricate patients from vehicle collisions and assist OCEMS personnel in patient assessment and stabilization. They provide the residents valuable assistance, particularly in the first few minutes of an emergency.

Q: How can I get a copy of my Emergency Medical Services Records?

A: Your medical records are confidential and protected by various privacy laws. All requests for copies of records must be made in writing and authorized by the patient or the patient's legal guardian. Your medical information can be released without the consent of the patient only under subpoena. For more information and to request a copy of your ambulance records, please call 888-344-9614.

Q: Why do I see Oldham County EMS ambulances and response vehicles parked at several locations around the county?

A: Our ambulances are scheduled and positioned based on historical call data. During traditionally busier times of the day, more ambulances are on duty. It's not uncommon to see our vehicles at the grocery, a local restaurant, Starbucks or even a house of worship—but rest assured that they're still on duty and ready to respond at a moment's notice.

Q: What should I do when approached by an emergency vehicle?

A: State law requires motorists to yield the right of way to emergency vehicles who are traveling with lights and siren activated. The correct procedure is to pull to the right side of the road and come to a complete stop until the emergency vehicle has passed. Motorists heading toward the ambulance should also pull to the right side of the road and stop as both lanes of travel are required to stop as long as a divided median is not present. If you are stopped at an intersection with a traffic light, you should remain in your lane of travel so long as the ambulance has an open lane to go around you.

Q: I'm hosting an event and want an ambulance there; does Oldham County EMS provide this service?

A: Yes, we will provide ambulances at sporting and other events throughout the community. There is an hourly fee charged for events where an ambulance is required to remain at the event and in cases where the events location requires a dedicated ambulance. For more information and to schedule an ambulance to standby at an event, please call Keith Smith at (502) 222-7250. It is necessary for special event standbys to be scheduled in advance so that crews can be scheduled.

Q: I recently received a check in the mail from my insurance company for ambulance transportation; what should I do?

A: Some insurance carriers send insurance payments for services rendered directly to the patient or the insured. When that's the case, simply forward the check to OCEMS for the services provided to you. The patient is responsible for payment of their bill regardless of insurance coverage.